Another month has come and gone. That means it’s time for the OAAM Monthly Roundup!
Soon Christmas music will start, turkeys will be in the oven, and holiday shopping will commence. But, before we get wrapped up in the holidays right around the corner, let’s take a moment to reflect on all of the places we visited in October.
We added a new playground to our ever-growing list.
- Colchester RecPlex is a perfect destination for kids young and old. It features a playscape for the toddler crowd and one for the elementary crew. It has regular swings and baby swings and fun “ride-in thingys” (a technical term). There is a walking trail and a picnic area where the kids can grab lunch or a snack. For the older crowd there is a skate park and climbing equipment nearby. Plus, there is a spray pad which looks like it will be a wonderful place to visit next summer.
An obvious destination in October in Connecticut is a trip to a local farm. For 2012, our adventures took us to two great farming destinations.
- Foster Family Farms is located in South Windsor, Connecticut and is a great destination for all your favorite farm activities. During October, they offer hayrides, pumpkin picking, visits with farm animals, and some fun and unique playground equipment.
- Then The Pickin’ Patch in Avon, Connecticut is a bit more of a traditional fall outing. They offer FREE hayrides to their pumpkin patch along with a smorgasbord off fruits and vegetables for sale in their store. The views to Heublein Towers from the patch themselves were worth the price of admission. Oh wait, admission is FREE!
Sometimes you just need a good recommendation for a place where you can load the kids in a stroller and go on a nice walk. Well, last month we found two new destinations in this category.
- Every October, the businesses in Old Wethersfield put together a Scarecrow contest. The entries line Main Street and offer a good excuse to go for a walk in this cute town. But you don’t need the Scarecrows on Main Street event to take visit that area. The shops and restaurants on Main Street are open year round and the other two activities I mentioned in that post (the Thursday night farmers market and Mikey’s playground) are also year round destinations.
- Another exercise-friendly destination is the Glastonbury Multi-Use Trail. While only a mile long, the paved pathway is perfect for a quick outing with a stroller and is even short enough that a preschooler could walk the whole way. Mark this one down as a perfect destination for a post Thanksgiving meal calorie burning session.
- Another fun outing for the frugal mom in me, was going to the Cute Kids Consignment Sale. This bi-annual sale offers opportunities to sell all the kids things you are no longer using and buy all the kids things you desperately need. From clothes, to toys, to strollers, to bikes, there are tons of goodies available for purchase. The next sale will be sometime during Spring 2013, so make sure you like us on Facebook to find out the latest on this huge event.
- This month we also got the tiny dining scoop on Noodles & Company, the brand new, family-friendly restaurant that just opened in Bishops Corner, West Hartford. With delicious noodle dishes for the whole family, plus a super casual, laid-back dining atmosphere, this place is sure to become a popular mealtime destination.
- Then last, but not least, Shawna took us on a journey to her home-town of Providence, Rhode Island for a visit to the Roger Williams Park Zoo. Giraffes, seals, and farm animals were on hand at one of the oldest zoos in the country. So if you find yourself headed to our neighboring state anytime soon, make sure to check out this family-friendly attraction.
Hope you had fun following along on our October adventures. Stick with us to see what we have planned for November!
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.