Please note that Glastonbury Touch A Truck is currently an Out and About Mom sponsor. Many thanks to them for supporting our site! All opinions are 100% my own.
UPDATE 5/26/16: This year’s Touch A Truck event will be held on Saturday, June 4th, 2016 from 10:00am to 2:00pm at Gideon Welles School, 1029 Neipsic Road in Glastonbury. “Quiet Hour” (no horns) from 10-11! Admission is only $5/person over the age of 2. They accept Cash, Checks, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express at the Entrance. Click here for more details.
Check out these pics from the 2015 event at Gideon Welles School!
We hope to see YOU at the 2016 Glastonbury Touch A Truck event!
POST ABOUT 2013 EVENT:
We’re having a theme week here at Out and About Mom. Since Mandy posted about her experience at the Enfield Public Library’s Vehicle Day (not to mention put together that AWESOME listing of many Touch A Truck events around the state of CT), I thought I would follow up with a snapshot of my visit to last year’s Touch A Truck event in Glastonbury. In case you missed Mandy’s post, or you are not familiar with these events, Touch A Truck is a chance to let your little ones explore some of their favorite real-life vehicles. The trucks, cars, construction vehicles, etc. are usually lined up side by side in a parking lot or similar location and kids (and parents too!) are invited to get up close, touch the vehicles, climb up into the driver’s seat, even honk the horns!
I have vivid memories of last year’s Glastonbury event, mostly because I was about 7 months pregnant and it was HOT. No wait. It was RIDICULOUSLY HOT. Even by non-pregnant standards 🙂 But it was so worth enduring the heat to see the look on Boo’s face when he got up close and personal with the life-size versions of some of his favorite toys!
As it turns out, this year’s event is being held at a different location, so there are things that it wouldn’t make much sense for me to show you pictures of (like the parking lot). But I thought it might still be fun to see some pictures of the types of vehicles you can expect to find there.
This year’s event is being held on Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (with a rain date of Sunday, June 1, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
As you can see, this year it is taking place at Gideon Welles School on Neipsic Road (last year it was at Smith Middle School).
I’m sure you can still expect the same array of attention-grabbing automobiles though. Last year there were two long rows of cars, trucks, and other vehicles.
We warmed up with the police car.
Boo was fascinated by the motorcycle, but not quite brave enough to climb aboard.
There were lots of interesting vehicles to explore.
It was a tough choice to pick his favorite between the mail truck (which I must say is much larger in person than I thought it was)…
The school bus…
And the shiny red fire truck!
But this was my favorite truck. Maybe because they were handing out free munchkins 🙂
I will say that we did have a bit of an issue with the noise from the honking horns, which was constant. Boo was a little freaked out by it (those things are loud!). I know some Touch A Truck events have special “no honk” times, and I wish all of these events would implement such a feature. Even just half an hour at the beginning would be great. (UPDATE 2015: Yay for Glastonbury Touch A Truck for implementing a new Quiet Hour from 10am-11am!) Anyway, just a heads up in case you think your child might have an issue with the noise too. You might want to steer clear of any tractor trailer trucks. Those seem to be the most popular horn by far 🙂
One new addition to the Glastonbury Touch A Truck this year will be the always popular Roaming Railroad kiddie train ride. And it sounds like there will be some other fun new activities as well.
Whether you head out to Enfield or over to Glastonbury or somewhere else, I hope you get a chance to check out one of these events this season. They are such fun. We’d love to hear which one is your favorite!
The Exchange Club of Glastonbury’s 4th Annual Touch A Truck
Gideon Welles School
Check the Exchange Club of Glastonbury’s Facebook page for updates.
- Saturday, May 31, 2014; 10:00 am – 2:00 p.m. (Rain date Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Stroller Friendly: YES.
- Coffee Mug Friendly: YES.
- Baby Changing Station/Restrooms/Parking: I’m not sure about these details because the event is being held in a different location this year. Sorry!
- Food for Sale: YES.
- Outside Food Allowed: Probably. I haven’t seen anything that would indicate that you can’t bring your own snacks.
- Cash Required: The flyer indicates that Visa & Master Card are accepted, but I am not sure if that is for food in addition to admission. Bring some cash just in case.
- Dress Code: Nothing specific, but I would recommend wearing comfortable clothing and shoes, and you might want to consider a hat if it’s sunny. Since these events tend to take place in the middle of parking lots, there may not be much shade.
- Evening/Weekend Hours: YES. The event is held on a Saturday.
- 4D Vision Gym – A vision training center located in Cromwell, CT where Dr. Juanita Collier, MS, OD and her staff show members how to utilize Vision Therapy to correct visual issues and make learning and playing easier and more fun.
- The Independent Day School – Located on a rural campus in Middlefield, CT this private pre-school, elementary and middle school serves families from over 20 communities.
- Kathryn Deane Photography – A natural light photographer located in West Hartford, CT and specializing in maternity, newborn, child, family, and senior portrait photography.
- NEW – Mansfield OBGYN
Are you interested in becoming an Out and About Mom sponsor? Click here for more info.
Want to keep up with all our Out and About Mom adventures?
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.