Now, call us mom-geeks, but Mandy and I get really, really excited when we come across a great fenced-in playground, especially since we usually have multiple kids in tow. So we’ve put together a list of our TOP 10 FENCED-IN PLAYGROUNDS (in no particular order). Because as parents, we want to encourage our kids to run free and explore…but that doesn’t mean we always want to run after them 🙂
- Bodie’s Place Playground in Milford, CT is a treehouse-inspired adventure with separate playscapes for big and little kids, lots of swings, a sandbox, a large covered picnic area and fun things to explore in every corner.
- Buckingham Road Playground in Avon, CT is a lovely spot with tons of activities for kids of different ages, including a separate toddler-sized playscape, a gigantic big kids’ playscape (with five slides!), a sandbox, swings, picnic areas and more.
- Rainbow Playground in Southington, CT has two great playscapes, a sandbox, swings, and much more. It’s super stroller-friendly, making it a great choice when you have an infant in tow (no bumpy ride=happily snoozing baby), and with lots of covered benches with 360° views of the action, it’s perfect for playdates.
- Walter’s Boundless Playground at The Shoppes at Farmington Valley in Canton, CT transforms a morning of errands (like a visit to Snip-Its) into a fun outing for the wee ones. This playground is tiny but full of fun and convenient to many of your favorite stores.
- Wickham Park’s Main Playground in Manchester, CT is a sprawling play area with multiple playscapes, swings, tunnels and plenty of room to run around. It’s shaded with trees (great for hot summer days!), and it’s located right near a real restroom facility (plus a snack bar on weekends). There is a small entrance fee to get into the park ($4/car weekdays; $5/car weekends & holidays), but it’s well worth it for the hours of fun you’ll find both at this playground and exploring all the other amazing things this gem of a park has to offer.
- Ross Field Playground in Glastonbury, CT is a preschooler’s paradise and includes, among other things, a giant sandbox filled with toys, swings, and two playscapes. Plus plenty of benches where mommies can sit, supervise, and socialize.
- Wolcott Park in West Hartford, CT has the perfect toddler playground. It’s bright and colorful with baby swings, a sandbox, and a fun “castle” element to the playscape. Plus, on hot summer days, you can cool off at the adjacent spray pad. It’s two outings in one!
- Mystic River Park Playground in Mystic, CT is a great stop on your next shoreline visit. If you love taking a trip to Mystic as much as we do, you will be excited to learn about this completely fenced-in playground located within walking distance to downtown.
- Simsbury Farms Playground in Simsbury, CT has large and small playscapes, swings, benches, a covered pavilion, plus the beautiful views make it an especially great destination in the fall when the leaves are changing. And while we’re on the subject of fall, it’s only minutes away from The Pickin’ Patch in Avon, CT and delicious apple fitters. Yummmmm.
- Imagination Station Playground at Ballard Park in Ridgefield, CT features a large playscape with several smaller playscapes and includes two completely separate play areas for big kids and little kids. There’s swings, slides, and the playground is even located within walking distance to the new Ridgefield Library with its great children’s library and variety of drop-in classes.
Do you have a favorite fenced-in playground? Tell us in the comments section below!
And don’t forget to check out the more than 30 playgrounds we’ve reviewed here.
- 4D Vision Gym – A vision training center located in Cromwell, CT where Dr. Juanita Collier, MS, OD and her staff show members how to utilize Vision Therapy to correct visual issues and make learning and playing easier and more fun.
- The Independent Day School – Located on a rural campus in Middlefield, CT this private pre-school, elementary and middle school serves families from over 20 communities.
Are you interested in becoming an Out and About Mom sponsor? Click here for more info.
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.