UPDATE 5/26/16: The Wethersfield Farmers’ Market opened May 12th for the 2016 season. It runs every Thursday from 3:00pm to 6:00pm.
Just because everyone is going back to school doesn’t mean that there aren’t a few more weeks left for some of our favorite summertime activities. Like farmers’ markets, for example. Did you know that many of them continue into October? So with that in mind, I bring you today’s post…
10 Things I Love About The Wethersfield Farmers’ Market
1. It’s held on the grounds of the historic (and lovely) Solomon Welles House in Old Wethersfield, which is very stroller-friendly. And it takes place rain or shine. In case of inclement weather, everyone just moves up onto that covered porch.
2. Lots of free, convenient parking (just ignore that “Do Not Enter” sign; I promise, it’s okay to enter).
4. Live music.
5. Fun (and free!) activities for the kids like face painting, balloon animals, live animals and more.
6. Food Trucks! Enough said.
7. Market Bucks. Don’t you hate it when you forget to stop for cash? Me too! Which is why I love that at this event you can stop by the Information Tent and use a credit card to purchase Market Bucks that you can then use for any of the vendors. Super convenient! Also check out their “Friends with Benefits” program where you can get weekly discounts and specials from EVERY vendor.
8. It’s located right across the street from the amazing boundless playground, Mikey’s Place in Standish Park (read our post on that destination here). Two outings in one!
9. Space to relax and play. With all the surrounding green space (the market is right next to Cove Park), it’s a wonderful place to play, hang out, and have a picnic (did I mention there are food trucks???).
10. My kitchen counter looking like this when I get home. Yummmmm!
So make sure you enjoy every last ounce of summer. It’s not over yet!
220 Hartford Avenue, Wethersfield, Connecticut (On the grounds of Solomon Welles House; next to DMV and Cove Park.)
Follow them on Facebook!
Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. from May through October. Make sure to check their Facebook page for updates and special events!
Parking & Admission FREE
- Stroller Friendly: YES.
- Coffee Mug Friendly: YES.
- Restroom: YES. Porta potty at end of parking area.
- Baby Changing Station: I did not see one.
- Parking: YES.
- Food for Sale: YES. In addition to all the food being sold at the market, there are food trucks selling prepared foods and meals.
- Outside Food Allowed: YES. Bring a picnic!
- Cash Required: SOMETIMES. Some vendors take credit cards; some are cash only. But either way, you can use your credit card to purchase “Market Bucks” at the information tent and they can be used like cash at any of the vendor stands. Some restrictions apply like a minimum purchase of $20 and no refunds on unused Market Bucks. See Information Tent for full details.
- Dress Code: Nothin’ special.
- Evening/Weekend Hours: YES. The market is open until 6:00 pm. That counts as evening, right?
- 4D Vision Gym – A vision training center located in Cromwell, CT where Dr. Juanita Collier, MS, OD and her staff show members how to utilize Vision Therapy to correct visual issues and make learning and playing easier and more fun.
- Imagine Studio – Under the direction of Karla Kress-Boyle, opening this fall at 97 South Street is West Hartford’s only Creative Arts Studio. Focusing on building imagination and self confidence, our wonderful staff will be sharing their talents in Dance, Art, Music, Yoga and Theater programming.
- The Independent Day School – Located on a rural campus in Middlefield, CT this private pre-school, elementary and middle school serves families from over 20 communities.
- NEW Mandell JCC – The Mandell JCC, Zachs Campus, 335 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford, CT., welcomes and serves families and individuals of all ages, stages, backgrounds and faiths. Our fitness, wellness and recreation, arts and culture, camp, early childhood education programs, classes, clubs and services are open to all. You Belong Here!
Are you interested in becoming an Out and About Mom sponsor? Click here for more info.
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.