If you follow our blog, you may have noticed that once a month we send a great big love-filled shout-out to our wonderful sponsors. We thank them profusely for supporting our site. We tell you all about the amazing things they have to offer to families like yours. And we keep you up-to-date on their special events and promotions.
In short, we tell you all the reasons why we loooooove our sponsors.
So we thought, hey, while we’re tossing all this love around, maybe our readers might like to find out what other things Mandy and I are loving each month (you know, in addition to our awesome sponsors). And so, we debut for you today our brand new monthly lovefest: What We’re Loving Now. We hope you enjoy this little window into our world!
It’s officially fall in New England. And not just because the calendar says so. The fairs are in full swing. The leaves are starting to color. There’s a pumpkin or a mum on just about every doorstep. And the grocery store displays are filled with big bags of Halloween candy (well, actually those have been there for over a month already, which distresses me a little–but that’s a topic for another post. Ha!).
This month, Mandy and I are focused on back-to-school for our oldest kiddos, but also finding some time to do the things we enjoy now that we have (a little) more free time.
Likewise, our sponsors are helping CT families make the most of their children’s school experiences, whether it be keeping your kiddos safe on the sports field, creative approaches to learning, or extracurricular programs and activities and kid-friendly events that bring communities and families together.
So read on to find out more about all the things that we are loving this September here at Out and About Mom. You never know, you might find just what you’ve been looking for!
1. (Shawna) I am totally and completely obsessed with my new pasta maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer! Boo loves to help me knead the pasta dough and then watch as the flat sheets are magically transformed into spaghetti. It’s like Play Doh for real!
2. (Shawna) Boo and I are having so much fun with his new Puzzle Buzz subscription. He gets two new puzzle books each month that are filled with fun brain-teaser activities we can do together (but are also simple enough that he can do them on his own).
3. (Shawna) Now that we’re in the new house, I have rekindled my love affair with HGTV. I am addicted to the show Property Brothers! But I’m also scouring the web for design deals on sites like Wayfair, and frequenting some of my favorite organization blogs like A Bowl Full of Lemons for ideas on how I can get my family settled into our new place.
4. (Shawna) Yay! It’s Pumpkin Spice Latte (a.k.a. “PSL”) season! I can’t resist the occasional splurge from Starbucks, but this season I am definitely going to try this DIY version from Today.
5 & 6. (Shawna & Mandy) Mandy and I are enjoying apple-picking season and making some of our favorite recipes. She’s baking her mom’s apple cake and her favorite apple pie recipe from one of her favorite cookbooks, The Silver Palate’s Sour Cream Apple Pie, and I’m digging out my slow cooker for my favorite apple crisp recipe. We’ve been pinning more of our favorite recipes on Pinterest, so be sure to check out our Apple Recipe Board for additional apple inspiration.
7 & 8. (Shawna & Mandy) We love season premieres! One of our favorites, Parenthood, started this week. Mandy’s also watching The Good Wife, and I’m a big Big Bang Theory fan.
10. (Mandy) I don’t listen to music when I run, I listen to podcasts and audio books. Most of the podcasts I listen to are about blogging (I’m really digging a new one called “Brilliant Business Moms”) but I also like many others. “The Home Hour Podcast” and NPR’s “TED Radio Hour” and “Marketplace” are a few of my favorites.
11. (Mandy) The twins are now in school every day and I’m officially packing lunch, so I’m perfecting my lunch making skills. I have been stalking 100 Days of Real Food and loaded up on a lot of her suggested lunch box items. The Lands End lunch bags are awesome! Unfortunately, Ziploc is going to be discontinuing the containers she mentions, but you can find some suggestions for alternatives here. You can check out more of our favorite lunch box ideas on Pinterest.
12. (Mandy) It is violent and over the top, but I’m addicted to watching Game of Thrones. My husband is working a lot and I am now 5 episodes ahead of him. A big problem in our house 🙂
But we’re really loving our amazing sponsors!
Don’t forget to check them out too. And help spread the sponsor love. If you know friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or anyone else who might be interested in what our fabulous sponsors have to offer, please share. It’s one simple way you can help support our site and keep us “Scouting Your CT Outing.” Thanks!
4D VISION GYM, OPTOMETRY and VISION THERAPY, Cromwell, CT
With the start of the school year, there is growing concern over the safety of sports and the risks of concussions for children.
Because even a mild concussion can impact the visual system and affect everyday activities, 4D Vision Gym, Vision Therapy in Cromwell, Connecticut specializes in post-concussion treatment and helps patients to successfully recover.
An estimated 4 to 5 million concussions occur annually, with increases among athletes in middle school.
Some common visual problems resulting from a concussion include:
- Double Vision
- Problems with Balance
- Sensitivity to Light
- Loss of Visual Field
It is critical that parents, coaches, and young athletes watch for these symptoms and take appropriate action quickly.
Visit http://www.4DConcussions.com to learn more or attend our free workshop at 4D Vision Gym, “Concussions: Keep Your Head in the Game” on October 2 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. RSVP at 860-632-UC4D (8243).
THE INDEPENDENT DAY SCHOOL, Middlefield, CT
Located on a rural campus in Middlefield, The Independent Day School is a private pre-school, elementary and middle school serving families from over 20 communities. Challenging academics, enriching programs in fine and performing arts combine traditional instruction with hands on learning in a nurturing environment. We encourage our students to develop a sense of curiosity, to display empathy and respect for one another and to be fearless in their learning. 1:6 teacher/student ratio. Find out more about IDS at our Open House, Wednesday, November 5 from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
THE MANDELL JCC, West Hartford, CT
Now in its Centennial year, the Mandell JCC serves people of all backgrounds and at every age and stage of life. It is a gathering place and resource for the Hartford region, providing recreational, cultural, educational, and social programs designed to promote physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being of its members and others who participate. As a center where all are welcome, our mission is rooted in a fundamental commitment to inclusivity and in universal Jewish values. We work to build community, cultural identity, and bridges of understanding by celebrating diversity and fostering appreciation for Jewish culture and heritage. The Mandell JCC looks forward to kicking off its Centennial with a family celebratory event on Sunday, December 14, 2014.
The Newest OAAM Sponsor: YOU!
It’s easier than you think to become an Out and About Mom sponsor! Get all the info on our unique advertising program here. No ad? No problem! May we introduce you to PicMonkey, a totally FREE photo-editing website. Check out some of these simple tutorials and before you know it, you’ll have a fabulous, professional-looking ad for your business that will look great in our sidebar 🙂
Questions? Drop us a line at email@example.com.
Once again, a great big “thank you” to our current sponsors. We are very proud to showcase them here on our site, and we look forward to introducing you to even more family-friendly businesses and organizations in the future.
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.