For the fourth year in a row, West Hartford’s Public Works department will be opening their doors (well actually their parking lot) to visitors. During the event their lot will be filled with a variety of town vehicles and children will have a chance to stop by and get an up close look at some of their favorites.
The event is free and this year it will be taking place on Saturday, May 16, 2015 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
The event is simple. You stop by anytime during opening hours, park in their lot right out front, and walk around to their garage where the event is held. The kids will have a chance to touch, sit inside, and maybe even get their picture taken with a variety of vehicles. It is a simple but very fun activity for kids of a variety of ages.
Last year was the first time my family and I were able to attend this particular touch-a-truck event and we had such a nice time. It certainly helped that it was an absolutely gorgeous day for our visit!
Touch-a-Truck events have actually become a very popular outing with my family and Shawna’s family as well. Last year I wrote about our visit to Enfield’s Touch-a-Truck event (happening this year on June 20, 2015) and Shawna wrote about her family’s outing to the one in Glastonbury (happening this year on May 30, 2015). We actually love Touch-a-Truck events so much that each year we put together a full list of events happening across the state. Check out our 2015 Connecticut Touch-a-Truck guide now!
Look at how little Sweetheart was last year!
Fire trucks, police cars, tractors. What kid wouldn’t have fun here? Oh and sometimes you get fun accessories like hard hats when you visit touch-a-truck events. Stylin’.
So I would definitely recommend checking out West Hartford’s Touch-a-Truck event this year if you are in the area. And if you are looking for some similar fun but closer to where you live go take a look at our 2015 Connecticut Touch-a-Truck guide for a little inspiration. Get your calendar out, click here, and pick a few events to attend with your family. You will be glad you did.
Do you have a favorite touch-a-truck event? Tell us about it by leaving a comment below!
Saturday, May 16, 2015
9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Stroller Friendly: YES.
- Coffee Mug Friendly: YES.
- Restroom: YES. They are located inside the garage.
- Baby Changing Station: NO.
- Parking: Parking is available in the lot right next to the event area.
- Food for Sale: NO.
- Outside Food Allowed: YES.
- Cash Required: NO.
- Dress Code: NONE. I would just suggest comfortable clothing as the kids will be climbing in and out of large vehicles.
- Evening/Weekend Hours: YES.
- Discounts: Can’t do better than FREE!
- Birthday Party Venue: NO.
- Connecticut Children’s Medical Center – The state’s only free-standing hospital that offers comprehensive, world-class health care to children. Based in Hartford, Connecticut Children’s also provides services at several locations throughout the state.
- The Independent Day School – Located on a rural campus in Middlefield, CT, this private pre-school, elementary and middle school serves families from over 20 communities.
- Mandell JCC – The Mandell JCC, Zachs Campus, 335 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford, CT, welcomes and serves families and individuals of all ages, stages, backgrounds and faiths. Our fitness, wellness and recreation, arts and culture, camp, early childhood education programs, classes, clubs and services are open to all. You Belong Here!
- Marie-Chantal Luxury Children’s wear – Giving one lucky reader a chance to WIN $500 to spend in their online store. Marie-Chantal is a global lifestyle brand creating unique and beautifully crafted designer children’s clothes and gifts for boys and girls from newborn to 12 years old.
- New England Air Museum – Located in Windsor Locks, CT, NEAM houses dozens of historic civilian and military aircraft and memorabilia in two giant hangers that visitors can tour. A family-friendly destination, the museum also hosts a variety of fun and educational events and activities for kids. (Read the OAAM post on this destination here)
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.