UPDATE APRIL 2017: New destinations added!!! Since we originally published this post in 2015, we’ve received lots of recommendations from readers. Thanks for all the great suggestions last summer! Still missing your favorite? Please let us know! We’re always happy to do more
ice cream eating, ahem, I mean, research 🙂
Also, we had a TERRIFIC suggestion by a reader to indicate which places have dairy-free options. We have started to add that info to the list where we can find it/remember it. If you know that info for any of the places on this list, please do us a HUGE favor and leave a note in the comments section below. Thanks!
With Memorial Day weekend almost here, what better way to kick off the unofficial start of summer than with a list of our favorite places to grab that quintessential warm-weather treat: ice cream! So today we are sharing some of our top picks for an ice cream outing. And as usual, we’ve been to and blogged about each one of these destinations, so you can get a little firsthand preview before you go–and yes, we’ve even tried the ice cream for you. Yeah, it’s a tough job. But someone’s got to do it! 🙂
(In no particular order)
1. Indulge in a sweet treat, relax by the pond and discover the faerie village at Jessica’s Garden in Marlborough.
2. Make your Mystic visit sweeter with a stop at Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream near Mystic River Park.
3. Explore the animal barns and watch the ice cream being made at the UConn Dairy Bar in Storrs. (Dairy-free option available)
4. Pair your frozen treat with homemade baked goods at The Sweet Spot in New Milford.
5. Visit the animals, feed the fish and enjoy a cone (or cup) of your favorite flavor at Burke Ridge Farms in Ellington.
6. Go back in time with the retro diner stylings and ice cream sundaes at Shady Glen in Manchester.
7. Hit the beach or take a whirl on the carousel after indulging in some soft serve from the Ice Cream Shack at Lenny & Joe’s Fish Tale in Madison.
8. Pet the friendly animals and sample the homemade ice cream at Robb’s Farm in Glastonbury. (Dairy-free option available)
9. Enjoy the seaside ambiance as you savor a scoop at Dad’s Restaurant in Niantic.
10. Check out a real working dairy farm, pick up some fresh milk and stay for an ice cream cone at Fish Family Farm in Bolton.
11. Let your little monkeys check out all the jungle gyms after enjoying a scoop of premium ice cream at Kloter Farm’s Ice Cream Barn in Ellington. (Dairy-free option available)
12. After a day at The Dinosaur Place, try a monster size scoop (choose from dozens of homemade flavors!) at the beloved Salem Valley Farms ice cream stand in nearby Salem. (Dairy-free option available)
14. Escape the hustle and bustle with a leisurely stop (think adirondack chairs and lawn games) and a unique ice cream creation at Jem’s Garden and Dairy Barn in South Windsor. Bonus: they serve a delicious lunch too! (Dairy-free option available)
Shawna & Mandy
Interested in advertising opportunities with Out and About Mom? Get more info here.
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every week as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter and follow us on Instagram to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.