As I start to write this little monthly post where we run down all the fun things we’ve been up to over the past 30 days or so, I cannot even believe that May has flow by so quickly! I also can’t believe that it already feels like August (hello 80+ degrees!). I mean, it seems like just yesterday that we were all grousing about snow on the ground in April 🙂
Well, good thing one of our accomplishments this month was to finally put together a list of some of our favorite ice cream destinations around Connecticut. That’ll help keep you cool!
This month we also had a lot of fun getting a special peek at the BRAND NEW Dinosaur Expedition attraction at Lake Compounce.
And of course, the unofficial start of summer wouldn’t be complete without our signature Out and About Mom Summer Bucket List, which we updated with lots of new destinations for 2015.
It seems like our readers are just as excited about this post as we are, because our Summer Bucket List has already been viewed over 30,000 times in just two days! A big thank you to everyone who has shared the post with their friends! We have THE BEST readers 🙂
In other exciting news, we had two super Better Connecticut segments this month. First, we took Melissa Cole to Ray of Light Farm in East Haddam (one of our favorite destinations!), and then today we were in the studio with our Summer Bucket List highlights. Be sure to tune in every second and fourth Thursday of the month at 3:00 on WFSB Channel 3 to catch more of our Out and About Mom adventures!
We’re also gearing up to officially launch our BRAND NEW birthday party directory (it’ll be open to all venues starting June 1st!). So if you’re loving the idea of having a complete party-planning resource at your fingertips (literally!), do us a BIG favor and help us spread the word to your favorite party-friendly venues so they can be included on the list. (And if you book your party after finding the destination on our list, please let them know!)
Because our wonderful sponsors do so much more than just support our site. They offer amazing products, services and resources to you, our wonderful readers. It’s a win-win, right? 🙂
And we really can’t thank both our readers and our sponsors enough, because it’s their combined support that makes it possible for us to continue “scouting your outing.” So if you enjoy reading our blog, please help us support the businesses and organizations that keep us up and running, whether that means simply taking a moment to check out what they have to offer, heading to one of our sponsor’s venues for a play date (be sure to tell them we sent you!), referring a friend or relative, or just “liking” our sponsor posts on our Facebook page to show them a little love.
With so many fun things to share with you this month, we better get started! We hope you enjoy this little window into our world as we tell you all about what we’ve been loving this May.
1. This month we had a wonderful family photo shoot with our friend and amazing photographer, Kathryn of Kathryn Deane Photography. Kathryn started working with us for the blog about 3 years (and 2 kids!) ago, and she’s also been photographing my family on a regular basis ever since. I am always impressed by her uncanny ability to capture those sweet, funny, lovable family moments even amidst what anyone who has ever tried to do a photo shoot with toddlers knows can seem like pure chaos! You can find out more about Kathryn and view more photos from my family’s session with her here.
2. After almost 10 years of rigorous use, our old grill finally fell apart earlier this spring (literally! The bottom fell off as they hauled it away!), so we invested in a new one that will hopefully stand up to our almost year-round, weekly use (yes, we even grill in the snow!). In celebration, I tried out several new grilling recipes like Skinny Mexican Grilled Corn, Grilled Brown Sugar Chili Pork Tenderloin and Kofta Kebabs (the recipe calls for the broiler, but they did fine on the grill!) that were a big hit! I’ve added them to my recipe board on Pinterest, where you can find many of my other tried and true favorites.
3. Dinosaurs are a HUGE hit in my house right now. And the little guy just adores this Dinosaur Roar book. Needless to say, the kids loved getting a chance to see the new Dinosaur Expedition attraction at Lake Compounce this month. And we are also looking forward to finally getting to check out The Dinosaur Place soon (look for my post on that venue in June!).
4. We’re lucky enough to have a pool at our new house (pinch me!), and I am so glad that Mandy turned me on to these fabulous, Coast Guard approved Puddle Jumper life jackets. The kids can really swim in them, and it gives me peace of mind knowing that they have that extra layer of protection while they are having fun in the water. And since they are Coast Guard approved, many municipal pools will allow their use (even when more recreational types of flotation devices are not allowed).
5. At the beginning of the month, we dropped by a PJ Library event being held in Glastonbury (my town) over at Ross Field. It was such a fun morning with a story, a bagel breakfast, and an adorable craft project–plus time on that great Ross Field playground. PJ Library frequently organizes these FREE events (often in conjunction with our sponsor, the Mandell JCC), which are geared towards families with young children. So if you’re interested in learning more about their Hartford-area happenings, be sure to “like” their Facebook page for updates and the latest information. Their next event–Shabbat in the Park–is coming up this Friday, May 29th from 6-8pm in Elizabeth Park in Hartford.
But we’re really loving our amazing sponsors!
Don’t forget to check them out too. And help spread the sponsor love. If you know friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or anyone else who might be interested in what our fabulous sponsors have to offer, please share. It’s one simple way you can help support our site and keep us “Scouting Your CT Outing.” Thanks!
CONNECTICUT CHILDREN’S MEDICAL CENTER, Hartford, CT
Connecticut Children’s is the only hospital in Connecticut dedicated exclusively to the health and well-being of children. For the sixth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report has ranked Connecticut Children’s a top hospital in the 2014-15 Best Children’s Hospitals rankings.
Our top physicians and researchers are dedicated to advancing pediatric care through medical innovation and cutting-edge technology. With more than 200 pediatric residents and fellows in over 20 pediatric subspecialties, Connecticut Children’s is the primary pediatric teaching, clinical and research partner for the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Connecticut Children’s research portfolio includes nearly $20 million in active awards.
Getting kids healthy and home is our goal. And we do it every day. Do you have a Connecticut Children’s experience that you would like to share? Tell us about it.
Visit www.connecticutchildrens.org or call 860.545.9000 for more information.
THE INDEPENDENT DAY SCHOOL, Middlefield, CT
The Independent Day School is design thinking and hands-on. It’s life long friends and knowing that you’re known. Nature trails and vegetable gardens. And academic rigor and preparing for next steps. It’s finding out who you are and what you’re good at. It’s making mistakes and trying again. It’s being a kid, the best kid you can be. It’s not like any other school. It’s IDS. It’s the way we are. All for the love of fearless learning. 1:6 teacher/student ratio. Discover how The Independent Day School can unlock your child’s full potential. Schedule a weekday walk-through by calling 860-347-7235. Summer Programs start June 22.
THE LITTLE GREEN TAMBOURINE, Canton, CT
The Little Green Tambourine, located in Canton, CT, is a healthy living creative arts studio offering a variety of opportunities for kids to learn and play. Check out their exciting summer programs and events including Kids Night Out, Mommy/Daddy and Me Tea, Red White and Blue Cupcake baking and Decorating Class, Summer Open Play, Sugar Cookie Shaping and Decorating Event, “Under The Sea” Toddler Camp, Family Science Day AND MORE! For a complete list of programs, including dates, times and pricing, click HERE. Or contact Suzanne DeRosa at 860-352-5504 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
THE MANDELL JCC, West Hartford, CT
Now in its Centennial year, the Mandell JCC serves people of all backgrounds and at every age and stage of life. It is a gathering place and resource for the Hartford region, providing recreational, cultural, educational, and social programs designed to promote physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being of its members and others who participate. As a center where all are welcome, our mission is rooted in a fundamental commitment to inclusivity and in universal Jewish values. For more information on the Mandell JCC, contact the Member Services Center, 860-236-4571 or visitwww.mandelljcc.org.
We would also like to thank the following businesses/organizations for supporting our site via sponsorship:
- Imagine Studio in West Hartford
- Glastonbury Touch-A-Truck (Taking place on Saturday, May 30th from 10:00am – 2:00pm; no horns from 10-11.)
Once again, a great big “thank you” to our current sponsors. We are very proud to showcase them here on our site, and we look forward to introducing you to even more family-friendly businesses and organizations in the future.
And thank you to our readers for supporting the businesses and organizations that make our site possible!
Shawna & Mandy
Are you interested in becoming an Out and About Mom sponsor?
It’s easier than you think to become an Out and About Mom sponsor! Get all the info on our unique advertising program here. No ad? No problem! May we introduce you to PicMonkey andCanva, two totally FREE photo-editing websites. They are simple to use and, best of all, in just minutes you’ll have a fabulous, professional-looking ad for your business that will really stand out in our sidebar
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every Tuesday and Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.