So I know this is technically our “September” sponsor post, but can I just pause a moment to say, wait a minute, how did it get to be October already??? Seems like just yesterday I was putting Boo on the school bus for the first time. Has it really been over a month?
Indeed it has. But it’s been a good one! Mandy and I have been enjoying the little extra free time we have now that 4 of our 5 kiddos are in school full time.
We’ve also been checking items off our Fall Bucket List. There’s been apple picking and pumpkin decorating and maze exploring (just to name a few), and after those last sticky hot weeks in September, it’s really starting to feel like fall in New England. And of course, Halloween is right around the corner, so stay tuned for our annual Halloween highlights coming up soon.
But as usual, we’d like to pause for a moment and thank the sponsors that keep our site up and running with their financial support. It is not an exaggeration to say that without them, this site would not exist. So if you love our site, do your part to help support the sponsors that keep us “scouting your outing.” Please help spread the sponsor love! If you know friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or anyone else who might be interested in what our fabulous sponsors have to offer, please share.
And of course, Mandy and I have a few new things to share this month too. So keep reading to discover all the things we’ve been loving this September!
This Month’s Premium Sponsors:
CONNECTICUT CHILDREN’S MEDICAL CENTER, Hartford, CT
Named among the best in the nation in the annual U.S. News & World Report “Best Children’s Hospitals” rankings, Connecticut Children’s is the only free-standing children’s hospital in Connecticut that offers comprehensive, world-class health care to children.
Our top physicians and researchers are dedicated to advancing pediatric care through medical innovation and cutting-edge technology. With more than 200 pediatric residents and fellows in over 20 pediatric subspecialties, Connecticut Children’s is the primary pediatric teaching, clinical and research partner for the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Connecticut Children’s research portfolio includes nearly $20 million in active awards.
Getting kids healthy and home is our goal. And we do it every day. Do you have a Connecticut Children’s experience that you would like to share? Tell us about it.
Visit www.connecticutchildrens.org or call 860.545.9000 for more information.
The Little Green Tambourine, Canton, CT
The Little Green Tambourine, located in Canton, CT, is a healthy living creative arts studio offering a variety of opportunities for kids to learn and play. Check out their exciting fall programs and events including Cooking Camp, Mommy/Daddy and Me Pumpkin Painting, Pumpkin Cupcake Baking and Decorating Class, Halloween Parties, Wacky Science, Fall Messy Art/Open Play, AND MORE! Plus a BRAND NEW preschool enrichment program twice a week for 3 hours! For a complete list of programs, including dates, times and pricing, click HERE. Or contact Suzanne DeRosa at 860-352-5504 or suzanne@
THE MANDELL JCC, West Hartford, CT
Now in its Centennial year, the Mandell JCC serves people of all backgrounds and at every age and stage of life. It is a gathering place and resource for the Hartford region, providing recreational, cultural, educational, and social programs designed to promote physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being of its members and others who participate. As a center where all are welcome, our mission is rooted in a fundamental commitment to inclusivity and in universal Jewish values. For more information on the Mandell JCC, contact the Member Services Center, 860-236-4571 or visit www.mandelljcc.org.
We would also like to thank the following businesses/organizations for supporting our site via sponsorship:
- Chase Vein Center
- The Independent Day School
- Meet N Mickey Disney Travel Agency
- Quincy Limited Car Sun Shades
- Raising Wizards Consulting Services for Parents of Gifted Children
- Tots411 preschool directory
This month we’re also loving…
1. Last month I was excited to pick up the all new and totally FREE Stop & Shop magazine entitled Savory. This handy booklet has over 100 pages filled with lots of yummy and easy recipes, mealtime tips, and other helpful info. From their August/September issue, I’ve already made a delicious tomato soup and gotten several quick and easy but unique sandwich ideas for lunches or no-fuss dinners. Savory also has info about new seasonal Stop & Shop products (I’m really digging their line of Pumpkin Spice products– I’m drinking a cup of pumpkin spice tea as I work on this post, and just last night we had Nature’s Promise pumpkin spice sausage and butternut squash for dinner). And to top it off, you can even find a few coupons in there as well. I’m already looking forward to the next issue!
2. Sometime after my little guy was born, I decided that I was done with “diaper bags.” Instead, I wanted to find a roomy, cute tote that could double as my handbag so I wouldn’t have to carry two bags or keep switching my things from diaper bag to purse depending on whether I would have kids in tow or not. I found my perfect solution with these Medium Open Top Canvas Tote Bags from Lands’ End. They are super affordable (around $35 regular price, but if you sign up for their emails there will almost always be a discount code to use), incredibly durable, come in fun and trendy patterns and color combinations, and have lots of interior pockets for organizing your essentials. I’ve already got two, but I’ve still got my eye on their new houndstooth pattern out this fall. Can a girl ever have too many bags? 🙂
3. September was a busy month for my family as we celebrated Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. This year, I think I finally mastered the art of homemade challah! I used this super simple recipe from Saveur to make the dough, and then got step by step instructions on making an easy round loaf with a dough “chain” (look for the “linked loops” challah). A round challah is traditional at Rosh Hashanah, but the rest of the year you can go with the more widely recognized braid. No matter how you style it, this challah is delicious! I’m looking forward to making it again and again for Shabbat dinners and special occasions throughout the year.
4. I am a minimalist when it comes to makeup. I just wear powder, blush, mascara and a pretty lip gloss. And when it comes to lip gloss my absolute favorite is Naked, by Urban Decay. I purchase it at Sephora and usually get the Rule34 shade.
5. It is apple picking time and boy do we have a ton of apples to go through in our house. I recently saw this apple peeler at my children’s preschool and decided to purchase one for our home. It makes it so much easier to get my kids involved in making all of our favorite apple treats.
6. Back to school time in our house means new running shoes for everyone. And my favorite place to go for kids shoes these days is Nordstrom Rack. It is certainly hit or miss on selection, but I can usually find a great shoe for my kids when we visit. Plus, they are usually 30% off retail which makes me happy!
Once again, a great big “thank you” to our current sponsors. We are very proud to showcase them here on our site, and we look forward to introducing you to even more family-friendly businesses and organizations in the future.
And thank you to our readers for supporting the businesses and organizations that make our site possible!
Shawna & Mandy
Are you interested in becoming an Out and About Mom sponsor?
It’s easier than you think to become an Out and About Mom sponsor! Get all the info on our unique advertising program here. No ad? No problem! May we introduce you to PicMonkey and Canva, two totally FREE photo-editing websites. They are easy to use and, best of all, in almost no time you’ll have a fabulous, professional-looking ad for your business that will really stand out in our sidebar. Need a little more help? No worries! We’ve put together this super simple tutorial that will have you creating your flashy new ad in just minutes. And it’s FREE!
Want to keep up with things to do with kids in Connecticut?
Check back every Thursday as we dish up more Momsense for getting out and about with your little ones. Don’t have time to check back in? Let us send you an automatic notification of new posts straight to your email inbox by signing up here. Also, you can like us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts and get some extra tidbits we share only through those sites.